Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase through clicking my link. It has no cost to you. Please read my disclosure for more information.
This island-inspired veggie potato soup is filled with hearty veggies including potatoes, okra, carrots, celery, peppers, onions, and more. It’s rich flavors come from creamy coconut milk, Thai curry paste, ginger, cinnamon, and a flavorful broth among other ingredients. This dish is perfect to freeze and reheat in a hurry for a nourishing and satisfying meal, ready in a pinch.
Island-inspired Veggie Potato Soup
- 2 tsp coconut oil or avocado oil
- 2 medium yellow onions about 1.5-2 cups
- 3-4 medium to large carrots about 2-2.5 cups
- 5 large celery sticks
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes or pureed red pepper 14.5 oz can – no salt added
- 4 medium russet potatoes or sweet potatoes
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 2-3 liters veggie stock
- 2 cans great northern beans or cannellini Garbanzos taste great in this recipe as well!
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 2-3 tbsps salt if you didn’t add any salt to your veggie stock
- grated ginger
- 1-2 tbsp red thai curry paste optional
- puree a portion of the soup prior to adding okra & parsley
- 1-2 cups frozen or freshly cut okra
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- 2 cinnamon sticks optional
- Start off by washing all of your produce. Follow by peeling your potatoes and reserving in water before cutting.
- Small-medium dice all your veggies except your jarred peppers, okra, spinach, and ginger. Your parsley will be finely minced if adding.
- Add your coconut oil to your stock pot and proceed to add your onions. Allow them to caramelize for a few minutes (approx. 5 minutes) with the lid on. Stir and add a small amount of water if needed and follow with your carrots and celery. Reduce to medium/low.
- Allow the veggies to cook for approximately 10-15 minutes and proceed to add in your garlic, curry paste, and cinnamon until fragrant and proceed with veggie broth.
- Puree your peppers with a bit of the water from the peppers. Reserve.
- Next, dice your potatoes into small/medium dice and add them. Add your coconut milk and pureed peppers (or tomatoes) and bring to a boil. Follow with your beans. As the broth comes to a boil, using your microplane, grate your ginger over either your cutting board (if you are nervous about dropping it into the soup) or over your soup. I enjoy adding a lot.
- Once your potatoes have cooked remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, blend a small amount of your soup before adding herbs, spinach, or okra.
- Next, add in your frozen chopped okra and allow to come to a boil if consuming right away, or keep the heat off if freezing. Top with your parsley and allow to cool in a shallow pan. Season to taste. Serve & enjoy!
More Recipes To Enjoy
Did you try this recipe? Don’t forget to tag me on instagram if you make this recipe! That way you can share with your friends and I can better understand which recipes everyone is loving on the site! If you have a private Instagram account I may not see your tag. Feel free to DM me to let me know! I sincerely appreciate your support <3!
We love your shares! Find out the right way to share: Please click here to see our Photography & Recipe Sharing Policy.
Leave a Reply