Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase through clicking my link. It has no cost to you. Please read my disclosure for more information.
This Three Bean Tortilla Soup is a warming, hearty, and flavorful soup that can be enjoyed year-round. With comforting notes of your favorite Mexican fiesta or your family’s traditional taco Tuesday celebration; I’m certain it will be a new personal and family favorite.
Make It For Now Or For Later
Make this soup if you have a hungry crowd, plans for a quick and hearty defrosted meal after a long day at work, or another main dish for your taco night.
This dish is loaded with vegetables, three flavorful beans, and an array of fresh and dried herbs that provide even more flavor! It’ll be a new go-to recipe!
Tortilla Soup Cooking And Freezing Tips To Practice
Cook your onions thoroughly: When building bold flavors, it’s important to understand how the right amount of cooking time can bring out these flavors. Onions contain natural sugars and when cooked properly or caramelized, they provide stronger depths of flavor due to this.
Salt it properly: As I’ve noted in other blog posts, we all require a different amount of salt. With this said, it’s important to salt your food properly for flavor reasons. I’ve linked my favorite seasoned salt brand below!
Make excess: If planning for a ready-to-eat meal and enough to freeze for future meals, be sure to double or triple this recipe.
Cook your potatoes al dente: If freezing, it’s a good idea to cook your potatoes to be al dente if you’ll be reheating the soup. By doing so, this ensures your potatoes will still retain their shape and texture when reheating.
Cool it the right way: Before freezing, your soup needs to properly cool. Without cooling food properly it causes unwanted bacteria to grow that can lead to food poisoning. The best way to cool soups is in a large shallow pan or dish, stirring often and proceeding to cool in the fridge once it has reduced in temperature. Keep in mind that you do not want to bring your fridge (40°F or below) or freezer (0° or below) up in temp beyond it’s recommended norm as it can create issues for the items that are of proper temp.
Three Bean Tortilla Soup
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 cup carrots
- 1.5 tbsp freshly chopped garlic (about 4 large cloves)
- 32-64 oz Chef Dee's Vibrant Veggie Broth
- 1 bell pepper of choice or half jar of roasted red peppers (I typically use red, orange, or yellow)
- 1-2 tsp jalapeno
- 1 can pinto
- 1 can black beams
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 2 cups fire roasted corn
- 1/4 cup scallions
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp freshly chopped oregano
- 1 tbsp salt (if you've made your broth without salt)
- 1 bunch chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2-1 can roasted red peppers (pulsed) use salsa if desired
- organic corn tortilla chips for topping I like a lot!
- 1/2 avocado (if desired)
- Start off by washing all of your ingredients.
- Small-medium dice your onion, carrots, and celery and add your onions to a hot pan with your olive oil.
- Once the onions have caramelized slightly, add in your celery and follow with your carrots.
- While these items are cooking, slice a bell pepper of choice as well as your potatoes.
- If you notice your veggies are browning the base of the pan, deglaze it with a bit of veggie broth to remove this, but not enough to cover the veggies. Scape with a wooden cooking tool.
- Once they have softened add in your potatoes and pepper, mixing thoroughly.
- Add in your garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Rinse your beans thoroughly and reserve.
- Next, cover your mixture with veggie broth, tomatoes, jalapeno, and add in your beans. Follow with your seasonings and let cook. Bring the mixture to a boil and then to a simmer until potatoes have softened.
- Taste your mixture and season further if need be.
- Add in sliced jalapeno and cilantro and remove from heat.
- If you have created this for later, be sure to cool the mixture properly prior to adding to your fridge or freezer in a shallow pan or tray.
- If enjoying now, add fresh cilantro and tortilla chips to the top, or even your favorite vegan or dairy-based cheese!
Did you enjoy this recipe?
Did you try this recipe? Don’t forget to tag me on instagram if you make this recipe! That way you can share with your friends and I can better understand which recipes everyone is loving on the site! If you have a private Instagram account I may not see your tag. Feel free to DM me to let me know! I sincerely appreciate your support <3!
We love your shares! Find out the right way to share: Please click here to see our Photography & Recipe Sharing Policy.
Tag me! @chefdeeboss