Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase through clicking my link. It has no cost to you. Please read my disclosure for more information.
These breakfast sweet potato cakes are a tried and true recipe that’s been served for years to my clients in their homes as well as catering events. They are high in fiber and healthy fats while being flavorful and versatile for an array of breakfast offerings. I regularly have these breakfast sweet potato cakes with egg and avocado to start my morning.
How To Pair These Breakfast Sweet Potato Cakes
For these breakfast sweet potato cakes, I enjoy having them often with other pairings. Since these cakes are made up of a significant amount of carbs and fat, it’s great to pair them with greens, additional carbs like sorghum or quinoa, and a protein of some sort.
Here are a few of my favorite ways to enjoy these sweet potato cakes:
- In a veggie bowl: Enjoy these cakes paired with the Sorghum Breakfast Bowl. The bowl has a base filled with flavor, carbs, fats, and protein for days where you may be more hungry.
- With Egg: Enjoy these cakes paired with scrambled eggs, a poached egg, or my favorite way: a fried egg! Top with things like hot sauce, avocado, hollandaise, or ketchup.
- With breakfast meats: This pairs extremely well with breakfast sausages or breakfast turkey burgers.
- With wilted greens: Want to have a base of lower carbs? Try this dish with wilted greens like spinach, kale, or even arugula. If you enjoy the taste of argula but want a spicier kick, try astro arugula which provides a spicy pop of flavor to your meal. Top the dish with a fried egg and you have a well-balanced meal!
Savory Sweet Potato Cakes
- 2 lb sweet potatoes
- 1/2-1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil/avocado/grapeseed/ghee divided
- 1 small/medium red onion
- 1 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1-1.5 tbsp herbs de provence
- 1/2 tsp za’atar
- 4 sprigs fresh sage
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- Heat your oven to 425.
- Peel and dice your potatoes into medium dice pieces.
- Season your potatoes and place them on a baking sheet with half of your oil. I do not recommend using a silicone tray or parchment paper. If you would like to use foil that will help create a char to be achieved.
- Cook the sweet potatoes for 20-25 minutes or until golden or slightly charred.
- While the sweet potatoes cook, add a portion of your oil to a hot pan and cook your onions if you choose to include them. Reserve in a bowl once translucent or caramelized.
- Remove the sweet potatoes and add them to a bowl with your remaining ingredients. Combine.
- Using a ten scoop, scoop your mixture onto a sheet tray to be formed into cakes/patties or to your desired size.
- Form your scooped mixture into cakes/patties and bring a pan to high heat with the oil of your choice.
- Sear the sweet potatoes until they are golden and serve with egg, avocado, or the noted breakfast bowl mixture above!
More Recipes To Enjoy
Did you try this recipe? Don’t forget to tag me on instagram if you make this recipe! That way you can share with your friends and I can better understand which recipes everyone is loving on the site! If you have a private Instagram account I may not see your tag. Feel free to DM me to let me know! I sincerely appreciate your support <3!
We love your shares! Find out the right way to share: Please click here to see our Photography & Recipe Sharing Policy.