Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase through clicking my link. It has no cost to you. Please read my disclosure for more information.
This plant-based key lime pie recipe is one of my absolute favorites! I’m not one for the traditional key lime pie as they are almost always too sweet. However, when made with natural sweeteners and the creaminess from coconut and cashew, they balance to near perfection. This recipe is made with fresh key lime juice, cashews, coconut, medjool dates, maple syrup, and a nutrient-dense crust that can be manipulated to your tasting and allergy-needs.
What’s In This Plant-Based Key Lime Pie
Making a key lime pie plant-based is much easier than many would assume. It comes down to the proper balancing of ingredients to achieve the correct flavors and texture. A traditional key lime pie is made of sweetened condensed milk making it filled with artificial sweeteners but plenty of preservatives and dairy. While some readers may not have dairy allergies or sensitivities, it’s always nice to have the option of a dairy-free product.
- Cashews will be the main ingredient in giving this key lime a dairy-like flavor.
- Medjool Dates provide the subtle sweetness that brings together the smoothness of the cashew and coconut with the sour taste of key limes.
- Key Limes are the most important ingredient in this plant-based key lime pie. If you’re familiar with key limes they will provide a sweeter taste to traditional limes. Additionally, they provide a more floral flavor profile.
- Maple Syrup is used to help aid in the balancing of the tartness of the key lime.
- Coconut Milk provides the right creaminess when combined with coconut oil and cashews and helps to create a milk-like flavor.
- Coconut Oil helps to provide a smooth creaminess that is present in higher-fat dairy products. Since we are not using dairy here, coconut oil helps to create a smooth texture when pouring the mixture into a mold.
If you’re more excited for this recipe in pop-form I enjoy using the pop mold that’s linked above!
Plant-Based Key Lime Pie
Key Lime Pie Mixture
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2/3 cup coconut milk full fat
- 1/3 cup key lime juice
- 6 dates remove pits
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup oats
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp honey or maple
- Pinch of salt
Key Lime Pie Mixture
- Start off by soaking your dates and cashews separately. You may soak them in boiling water if short on time, or choose to soak them overnight.
- While these products are soaking, wash your key limes and proceed to cut and juice them into a bowl. You'll want to measure them accurately so do not put them into your blender quite yet. Measure out 1/4 of a cup to use in your mixture.
- Once they have softened drain both and peel away the seeds/pit from the medjool dates. Reserve both in your high speed blender. Follow with your remaining pie mixture ingredients.
- Follow by blending the ingredients until smooth.
- Once the crust is completed, use a pastry pen or pencil and cut a piece of parchment paper to match the base of the 9-10" springform pan. Pat it down firmly and proceed with pouring your filling mixture over it.
- Freeze the pie overnight while also covering with plastic wrap.
- When ready to serve, defrost the pie for about 15 minutes to ensure it's able ot be cut without melting too much. Serve & enjoy!
- Using your measuring cups, measure out your ingredients and heat your oven to 350.
- Using either your microwave or a pan on the stovetop, add your coocnut oil and coconut sugar to melt and combine the two. Pour over your mixture in a bowl to combine.
- Combine all of your ingredients thoroughly and proceed to add to your parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown, depending on the temperature integretiy of your oven.
Recipes To Pair With This Dish
Did you try this recipe? Don’t forget to tag me on instagram if you make this recipe! If you have a private Instagram account I may not see your tag. Feel free to DM me to let me know! I sincerely appreciate your support <3!
We love your shares! Find out how to share: Please click here to see our Photography & Recipe Sharing Policy.