Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase through clicking my link. It has no cost to you. Please read my disclosure for more information.
This green olive tapenade is a mixture of refreshing Italian flavors and pairs well with an array of other Italian mains. While I recommend this green olive tapenade for more summer gatherings, this is perfect for any season especially when gathered with friends.
This dish was first inspired by a chef friend who made it for me many years ago. After pulling further inspiration from a past client, she detailed a restaurant offering she had that was surprisingly a tuna tartare. While this isn’t anything like a tuna tartare, the flavors and ingredients she described certainly aligned with Italian favorites. That recreated dish, as well as this one blossomed into a one that soon became a consistent favorite in their home. While I’ve put personal chef services on hold for the time being, it is something I genuinely miss.
How To Serve This Green Olive Tapenade
Pairings for your tapenade: Pair your tapenade with veggies, crunchy romaine leaves, tortillas, toasted bread, or crackers. If enjoying with a crowd I always love to add an array of vibrant veggies, crackers, and warm bread. If eating as a light lunch, I will typically enjoy over crunchy romaine leaves.
Serve it with other dips: While this green olive tapenade will certainly steal the show it pairs well with other dips such as my whipped hummus, roasted garlic (for the warm bread) and of course, ajvar! Pairing all of these dips together with many dipping choices is the most ideal for a day or night of entertaining.
Serve it with extra oil: Planning on using the roasted garlic recipe to serve with this dish? Be sure to use a bit of the flavorful oil to serve around the tapenade. If desired, enjoy a subtle dash of smoked paprika over the tapenade to help make the dish more visibly vibrant.
Style it pretty: If planning all of the above, I recommend adding your dips to smaller bowls and placing on your platter first. Fill in the blank space around the dips to ensure your platter is fully stocked, and beautifully detailed.
Italian Almond Tapenade
- 1-2 tbsp chopped shallot
- 1 cup soaked & peeled raw almonds
- 1 can medium green olives (6 oz each)
- 1 jar castelventrano olives (RINSE!) (6-8 oz)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp himilayan salt
- 2-3 tbsp fresh oregano (do not use dried)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (do not use bottled)
- 1/4-1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small-medium garlic clove recipe linked above!
- 1 carton basil (.50 oz)
- Start off by soaking your almonds in water overnight. If you need to speed up the process you can use boiling hot water to help peel them quicker. (If you choose this method you'll need to refrigerate the almonds until cold)
- Next, finely mince your shallot and garlic clove and add to a larger bowl. Add your lemon juice over your shallot and garlic.
- After this, finely chop your oregano. (This is key to the recipe! Do not use dried oregano as it will ruin the recipe!) **If you cannot have fresh oregano: omit.)
- Follow this by peeling all of your almonds and adding the peeled almonds to your food processor. Rinse your castelventrano olives and drain your green olives. (I do not rinse mine but please check for excess sodium)
- Follow by pulsing the ingredients until they are fairly broken apart.
- Next, add your mixture to your bowl and follow by removing the stems of your basil and adding the leaves to your food processor and pulse with your oil.
- Once your mixture has come together, reserve in the bowl and stir all of your ingredients together.
- Lastly, add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine, following with salt and a bit of freshly cracked pepper. Stir, taste, and adjust as needed.
- Reserve in a sealed container for up to 1 week! Serve with crackers, crunchy romaine leaves, or fresh veggies.
More Recipes To Enjoy With This Green Olive Tapenade
Did you try this recipe? Don’t forget to tag me on instagram if you make this recipe! That way you can share with your friends and I can better understand which recipes everyone is loving on the site! If you have a private Instagram account I may not see your tag. Feel free to DM me to let me know! I sincerely appreciate your support <3!
We love your shares! Find out the right way to share: Please click here to see our Photography & Recipe Sharing Policy.