Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase through clicking my link. It has no cost to you. Please read my disclosure for more information.
One of my favorite recipes growing up was diner-style breakfast potatoes, ie; hash browns. Growing up in an area where it was common to cook Pennsylvania Dutch food, I can only imagine that these delicious hash browns were doused in. Potatoes took up a hefty role in my diet as a child. This is my rendition of one of my favorite childhood breakfast foods along with how to streamline the process to save time for busy individuals!
Diner-Inspired Breakfast Potatoes
- 1 small-medium yellow or viadalla onion
- 1.5 cups small russet potatoes
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil / coconut oil / ghee / or miyokos vegan butter/ or combination of two.
- 2 garlic cloves or 1/4 tsp garlic granules
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp Dash – 1/4 tsp za’atar optional
- 1 tbsp parsley or dill optional
- 1 spring fresh thyme or rosemary optional
- Generously scrub your potatoes and allow to dry fully overnight. I suggest leaving the skin on for this recipe which means they must be washed well.
- Cut your potatoes into medium dice or into discs depending on your desired "diner-style" homestyle potato memories.
- Combine water & potatoes into a pot on high bringing it to a rapid boil.
- Cook the potatoes until just before fork tender, but not entirely cooked.
- Once fork tender, remove and drain thoroughly. If you are choosing to cook the potatoes right away vs freezing them for a later use, use the directions directly below.
- Preheat a cast iron pan (preferably a cast iron pan) until hot, preferably at least 20 minutes. This will help to allow the potatoes a nice crusty exterior.
- Next, add in half of your oil for your onions.
- If adding onions, let the onions caramelize prior to adding the potatoes as they will take longer to cook. Cook until translucent. Add garlic granules, salt, pepper & smoked paprika to the mix & combine.
- Next, add in your potatoes and additional oil and allow them to cook on one side before tossing them. We want to allow a nice crust to appear on the potatoes which means not moving too frequently. If moved too often it will result in a mushy mixture.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired and top with any chopped herbs.
- Taste, serve, & enjoy!
How To Make These Diner-Style Breakfast Potatoes In Advance:
To prepare the potatoes, it’s important to follow the below directions for the best outcome to it’s exactness.
- Make room in your freezer for a flat baking sheet that can be placed flat in the space prior to beginning this recipe. Be sure to remove any excess items around it, if possible.
- Next, get a large bowl with ice and water to add your cooked potatoes to once they have been par-cooked. This will help to halt the cooking process.
- Proceed to cut your potatoes into small-medium size and cook in salted water until just fork-tender. Proceed to strain the liquid from the potatoes and quickly add them to your iced water until they have become cold.
- Once the potatoes are cool, remove the excess water and place them on a flat baking sheet lined with a silicone mat.
- Try to reduce crowding the potatoes as this will make them stick together making it harder to place in a stasher bag or container. Proceed to add them to your freezer.
- These can then be used in the morning with the same sautéing preparation as mentioned above.
- Keep in the freezer for up to a few months. Typically commercially frozen potatoes last for 10-12 months and even after this timeline they are usually safe to eat!
Cheers to saving time on meal prep!
More Recipes To Enjoy
- Cuban Style Sofrito (This is great with the potatoes!)
- Arugula Pesto (Another great option to enjoy with potatoes!)
- Dairy-Free Butternut Squash Soup
Did you try this recipe? Don’t forget to tag me on instagram if you make this recipe! That way you can share with your friends and I can better understand which recipes everyone is loving on the site! If you have a private Instagram account I may not see your tag. Feel free to DM me to let me know! I sincerely appreciate your support <3!
We love your shares! Find out the right way to share: Please click here to see our Photography & Recipe Sharing Policy.