Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase through clicking my link. It has no cost to you. Please read my disclosure for more information.
This gluten free sugar cookie recipe is both adaptable for gluten free & dairy free individuals and also for vegan diets. With a creamy and sugary taste with sprinkles of lavender salt, it makes it both slightly sweet and savory. This comes through lavender and the addition of rose petals! These easy gluten free sugar cookies are nearly exact to the original. If you enjoy making this recipe try these macadamia rosemary ice cream sandwiches or these gluten free dairy free chocolate tarts!
The Best Gluten Free Sugar Cookie Recipe
For these cookies you can make them a gluten-free cutout cookie recipe as well as they arent shown here in cookie cutter form! What’s great about these are they’re:
Quick & Easy! “Easy” gluten-free cookies don’t always require the same attention that conventional cookies may. Gluten-free does not require the same delicacy or fine details to it’s recipe/techniques. Some gluten-free baking can taste great with little effort to these techniques! This one is certainly one of those recipes! Sift, combine, mix, refrigerate, & bake!
Adaptable for events & flavor pairings: Use unique ingredients like lavender, rose, peppermint, and citrus to pair with other desserts & meals. Decorate to your interests & have fun with them!
Allergen-friendly! This recipe does have allergens such as butter, eggs, and nuts. You may sub ingredients with the tips below for your specific dietary needs.
Freezable! Make them ahead of time for the holiday to avoid baking the day of festivities.
Adapting this cookie recipe
If this recipe has any allergens that require recipe adaptions, the below options allow for a delicious sugar cookie without much change to the flavor or texture.
Eggs: If you’re allergic to eggs, try an alternative such as flax “eggs” or ingredients like arrowroot flour. In order to use flax eggs, you’ll need to allow the mixture to sit for a few minutes to coagulate. For 2 flax eggs, you’ll need 4 tbsp ground flax seeds with 6 tbsp water. For arrowroot “eggs” you’ll need 4 tbsp arrowroot powder with 6 tbsp water.
Baking Powder: If you are corn-free make sure you find a baking powder that is 100% corn starch-free. Not all baking powders are free from cornstarch.
Almond Flour: If you have an almond allergy, try ground macadamia nuts or a moisture-dense flour of your choice such as other nuts.
Butter: If allergic to butter, simply use vegan butter. I recommend Miyokos butter only as it is a cleaner vegan option. Most vegan kinds of butter are pure oils.
Other ways to enjoy this gluten free sweet treat:
Make it an ice cream sandwich! If you enjoy these here’s another wintery favorite, my macadamia rosemary ice cream sandwiches!
Cut them into shapes! Use festive cookie cutters and watch them closely as they bake based on the size cookie cutter you use.
Gluten Free Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup packed almond flour
- 1 tbsp rose petals
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or 1/2-1 bean
- 4 tbsp refined room temperature coconut oil
- 4 tbsp room temperature butter or miyokos vegan butter
- 1/4-1/2 rose water
- 1 room temperature egg yolk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 room temperature large egg
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp organic light brown sugar OR 2 tbsp honey
TOPPING FOR GLTUEN FREE SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE:
- 1/4-1/2 tsp Lavender salt for topping
- Start off by taking out your eggs and butter for 15-20 minutes.
- Next, add in your butter, eggs, vanilla, coconut oil, and sugar to a bowl or kitchen aide mixer. Mix until well combined.
- Combine all of your dry ingredients except for your rose petals. Sift through a fine mesh strainer.
- Follow with by adding your dry mixture into your wet mixture and mixing until well combined. If you're looking to make sliceable cookies or cut-outs versus flat cookies for sandwiches, be sure to refrigerate them in wax paper (for cut rounds) or in a bowl for cookie cutter option.
- Once chilled, set the oven to 350. If making regular flat cookies or cuts, simply size them or cut them into equal amounts and push flat as desired. Top with lavender salt or sprinkles. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- If making cut-out cookies, lightly flour a surface and roll out your cookies and bake for 6 -10 minutes depending on thickness.
- Place on a cooling rack or enjoy immediately!