Fried Chicken seems to always be a favorite on anyones table, but what about gluten free healthy fried chicken? The crunchy exterior and moist inside is a satisfying craving we’ve likely all experienced & craved. Creating a healthier version of this fan-favorite is surely a good idea. While this isn’t exactly a 100% fried chicken recipe, it’s nearly spot-on. It’s crisped to perfection with the same level of crunch that fools you into thinking it was deep fried. This is sure to be a delicious addition to your weekly & repeated meals.
How to make this healthy fried chicken
Three Step Breading Method:
This recipe uses a three step breading method by dipping the chicken into your flour of choice, followed in egg, and finished in breadcrumbs. This technique allows us to have the crispiest chicken possible.
High Temperature Roasting:
A high temperature is needed to create a golden color and crunchy exterior. Without it, we wont get that “fried-like” texture. We will be using chicken thighs which is the best option for reheating compared to chicken tenders or chicken breasts.
How to Serve, Cool, Freeze, & Reheat This Recipe:
Depending if you’re enjoying the product the day of or making it to enjoy later on, you’ll often want to eat the chicken right away unless storing it in the fridge for the following day or two. If storing in the fridge, it’s always best to reheat the fried chicken with the same cooking method as used previously. Not only is this recommended as the safest method of reheating but also the one that will result in the crunchiest leftover. I enjoy adding it to my air fryer for just about 5-10 minutes depending on the size.
Freezing is an important task to do correctly especially when it comes to this healthy fried chicken. How to make healthy fried chicken may be a simple task however many individuals improperly freeze animal proteins which can result in food borne illness. In order to freeze any product you want to think of the acronym called “IQF” or individual quick frozen. This showcases that each individual product has become frozen on its own. While this isn’t as important for food safety it makes the defrosting process much easier as nothing will stick together. As a result you must freeze the items on a flat surface with enough room between them to freeze each item individually.
Once complete, add the product to freezer safe containers and wrap them in parchment paper or leave as is if using within a day or so. Add them to a freezer safe bag or container.
To reheat, use your air fryer at 400 degrees F for 7-10 minutes or pop them into the oven for 15 minutes at 400 F.
Gluten-Free Healthy Fried Chicken
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp tajin
- 2 tsp garlic granules
- 2-3 eggs
- 1/2 cup kinnikinnick gluten free bread crumbs
- 1 container ians gluten free bread crumbs
- 1.5 cups gluten free flour
- 2 lbs organic chicken thighs
- sprayable avocado oil
- extra tajin if desired
- sprayable avocado oil
- grinded salt
- Turn your oven on to 425.
- Add the following items to separate bowls: flour, eggs, bread crumbs with all spices. Mix the egg fully as well as bread crumb blend. Reserve
- Spray a baking sheet with a generous amount of avocado oil.
- Begin by adding your raw chicken to your flour & coating it fully with the flour. Use one hand for dry areas of the chicken (or what is covered in flour) and another to touch raw chicken. You may also use a fork to do this.
- Follow by adding the floured chicken into the egg mixture. Coat it fully and remove as much excess egg as possible. Follow by placing the chicken in the bread crumb mixture to complete the three step breading method.
- Finish by adding each finished chicken thigh onto your oiled sheet tray/baking sheet and repeat until the tray is full. Do not overcrowd the pan.
- When they are ready to roast, add additional tajin or salt as well as spray with avocado oil. (I like to add spices first & then the oil) Add to the oven.
- Cook at 425 for 25 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165 along with golden brown in color.
Looking to pair this recipe with another healthy option? Try it with my Low Histamine Kale Caesar Salad + Dairy-free Dressing or enjoy it for breakfast as a chicken & waffles dish! Look out for my low-histamine vinegar-free mustard and vinegar-free ketchup in the next few days!