Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase through clicking my link. It has no cost to you. Please read my disclosure for more information.
These dairy-free mashed potatoes are made from russet potatoes, vegan butter or ghee, creamy coconut milk, and a vibrant veggie broth. This dish is filled with rich flavors, ready to be loaded with my favorite vegan mushroom gravy, along with even more holiday favorites!
Making Ahead, Freezing, Or Reheating These Deliciously Made Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes To Perfection
Freezing these dairy-free mashed potatoes is one of the best tricks to a quick meal or a smoother holiday party. While this year may be a lot different for our celebrations, saving energy at mealtime is always a bonus.
Most recipes do not praise the idea of freezing mashed potatoes, however, without dairy being present; the consistency is absolutely perfect upon reheating. As you may have read, freezing helps to save you time when preparing multiple dishes. This most certainly comes into play at the holidays when multiple courses are the most popular.
I recommend making this dish ahead of time and portioning it into the containers that align with each individual meal serving size. That means if you are eating alone this year, freeze the dish per meal, not as one large portion.
If freezing to defrost these dairy-free mashed potatoes you’ll want to combine the potatoes with a small amount of veggie broth and cover the pot to cook on low until fully reheated.
If using a crockpot, cook them on high using a small amount of veggie stock, just enough to create a shallow pool at the base of the crockpot. This will take approximately 1 hour. Be prepared to check on them more often if reheating on high. I prefer to cook them on low to ensure they are behind reheated slowly as I work on making other dishes for my meal.
I do not recommend using a microwave for this recipe as I feel the crockpot and stovetop methods work best.
Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes
- 5 lb russet potatoes
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1.5 cups full fat coconut milk
- 5-7 tbsp butter/vegan butter/ghee
- 1.5 cup Dee's Vibrant Veggie Broth
- 1-2 tbsp sea salt
- black pepper as desired
- Cook your mashed potatoes, peeled garlic cloves until fork-tender in salted water, around 12-15 minutes depending on how large you cut your potatoes.
- While the mashed potatoes cook, cut your butter into diced pieces. Reserve.
- The potatoes should be cooked to being fork-tender, but certainly not soft.
- Once cooked, drain the liquid from the potatoes and place the potatoes back into your pot, keeping it removed from the heat.
- Begin blending the mashed potatoes with a hand mixer or hand masher, adding in your veggie stock, butter, coconut milk, salt, and pepper and combining fully.
- Using a spatula, run it through the mixture checking for desired smoothness and adding additional veggie stock, or leftover butter to achieve your desired texture.
- Mix until no clumps remain and serve or cool for portioned freezing.
More Recipes To Enjoy
Did you try this recipe? Don’t forget to tag me on instagram if you make this recipe! That way you can share with your friends and I can better understand which recipes everyone is loving on the site! If you have a private Instagram account I may not see your tag. Feel free to DM me to let me know! I sincerely appreciate your support <3!
We love your shares! Tag @chefdeeboss in the post & in the caption so that I can see your creations!
To find out the proper way to share: Please click here to see our Photography & Recipe Sharing Policy.