Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase through clicking my link. It has no cost to you. Please read my disclosure for more information.
This dairy-free butternut squash soup is filled with rich and bold flavors that remind us of fall but it is also filled with nourishing ingredients made to provide a filling and hearty soup. It’s perfect for freezing, has healthy fats, and it’s even perfect as a base for pumpkin soup too!
Make This Dairy-Free Butternut Squash Soup Ahead of Time
Making this dairy-free butternut squash soup ahead of time is the perfect way to have a delicious hearty soup that’s great to pair with other fall dishes. Pair it with a kale salad with toasted pepitas, a sweet vinaigrette, and crunchy croutons or a nicely grilled chicken dish or even cinnamon seasoned Lebanese kebabs. This dish pairs incredibly well with anything that screams fall flavors!
Prior to going gluten-free I loved eating this soup with GG’s brand high-fiber bread or pumpernickel as it has just the right amount of bitterness to blend perfectly with the sweetness of the soup.
Dairy-Free Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil/Butter/ghee/vegan butter (if using vegan I only recommend miyokos brand)
- 1 Small-medium butternut squash approx 1.5 lb
- 1 Small-medium sweet potato (optional)
- 1/2 Onion
- 6 Stalks celery
- 3-4 Small-medium carrots
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules or 3 large cloves garlic
- 1 tsp+ Herbs de Provence
- 1 tbsp coconut oil/vegan butter/butter/ghee
- 1 tsp Fresh Sage
- 4+ cups Dee's Vibrant Veggie Broth OR Low Sodium Veggie Broth/Stock (Feel free to add additional to your desired consistency)
- 1 can coconut milk (if you want to use just cashews, sub with an additional two cups veggie stock or filtered water)
- ¼-1/2 cup cashews (soak prior if you do not own a vitamix)
- Fresh nutmeg, cinnamon, or smoked paprika (use nutmeg as desired, 1 tsp cinnamon, add paprika in 1/4 increments while tasting)
- Freshly cracked pepper
Rosemary Croutons (optional)
- 3 sprigs Rosemary
- 1 loaf sourdough bread or gluten-free bread
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- Start off by small-medium dicing your onions, carrots, butternut squash, and celery.
- Next, add in your butter or alternative to your stock pot and add in your onions and celery once hot. Cook these items until they have slightly cooked and proceed to add in your carrots.
- As your onions carrots and celery are cooking, turn on your oven to 400 and allow your butternut squash to cook with salt and just enough olive oil to coat the slices.
- Bake for at least 20 minutes or until golden.
- During this time, add in your chopped garlic to the soup and let cook until fragrant along with herbs de provance and proceed to cover with veggie stock or water. Reserve your chopped sage until the end.
- Next, add in your cashews and coconut milk. Reduce to a simmer after adding your roasted butternut squash.
- To finish the soup, puree until smooth making sure to bring the blender up to it's highest speed slowly to ensure the lid does not pop off. (This often happens when liquids are hot so please be careful.)
- Prior to removing the soup from your blender, add in your chopped sage and keep it on low until it's become incorporated to desired texture.
- Add in any fresh nutmeg or cinnamon as desired. I prefer fresh nutmeg over dried, powdered nutmeg. You may even use smoked paprika if that's more to your flavor profile!
- If freezing, allow to cool slightly in a low shallow pan fully before adding to your freezer.
More Recipes To Enjoy
Did you try this recipe? Don’t forget to tag me on instagram if you make this recipe! That way you can share with your friends and I can better understand which recipes everyone is loving on the site! If you have a private Instagram account I may not see your tag. Feel free to DM me to let me know! I sincerely appreciate your support <3!
We love your shares! Find out the right way to share: Please click here to see our Photography & Recipe Sharing Policy.