Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase through clicking my link. It has no cost to you. Please read my disclosure for more information.
This cauliflower purée and mushroom “steak” dish is one of my favorite savory meals to have that’s plant-based yet reminds you of a traditional pot roast or seared steak dinner.
How To Make The Perfect Cauliflower Purée
- Soak your cashews. Soaking your cashews will help you to create a creamy smooth cauliflower purée as soaking helps them to generously soften.
- Thoroughly steam/cook your cauliflower. This is important as it will create a smoother texture for your purée while also making it easier to break down in a lower-grade blender.
- Don’t add too much water. Making sure that you’re not using too much water is integral to creating a purée that holds it shape well enough to create a beautiful and visually-pleasing plate. Noting this may be important depending on whether or not you add beans or use a smaller cauliflower head. The consistency should be “pourable” however not as thick as a paste.
- Balance your seasonings and salt correctly. If you choose to add seasoned salt to this recipe it will provide additonal flavor whether that be cajun seasoned salt or my recommended French picnic salt. If you do not use enough salt the mixture may be quite bland. Salting helps to bring out the flavors of a dish!
- Use a high-speed blender. This is a must for this cauliflower purée recipe as a traditional blender may cause the mixture to have lumps. I use this Vitamix which is the only blender I can 1000% swear by. It is completely worth the investment!
Cauliflower Purée & Mushroom “Steak” Dinner
- 1/3-1/2 cashews
- 1 large cauliflower head about 5-7 cups cauliflower
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1.5-2+ tsp French picnic salt please adjust to your desired need
- 1 can cantellini beans or great northern beans (optional for further creaminess)
- 1 small yellow onion (optional)
Grilled Mushroom Steak, Aspragus, & Okra Seasoning:
- ¼ tsp garlic granules
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp smoked hickory salt
- 1 tsp maple syrup or honey
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- Dash cloves
Grilled Asparagus or Okra (if desired plain)
- 1 bunch Grilled asparagus
- 1 large Maitake Mushroom
- 1 lb okra
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 tsp Zaatar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley (optional)
- Start off by soaking your cashews overnight or for a few minutes. To speed up the process, use boiling water.
- Next, lightly steam your cauliflower until fork tender.
- Caramelize onions until fully translucent and slightly brown if using them. Reserve in your high speed blender.
- While your onions cook, prepare the steak and veggie marinade and combine fully. You can use the marinade lightly for each or make the recipe three times for each veggie (okra, asparagus, mushroom)
- Once your cauliflower is cooked, drain the liquid and add your cashews, onions, water, cauliflower, salt, and nutritional yeast to a high speed blender.
- Next, keep the cauliflower mixture hot and broil your mushroom and other veggies (either okra. asparagus.)
- If you want to save some of the oil I like to add this when plating.
- To plate, use a large spoon and slowly swirl it around a circular plate, working from the inside out. Next, add your mushroom and follow by topping with your green veggies.
- Finish by dressing with your oil, additional seasoning, and parsley.
Recipes To Pair With This Dish
Did you try this recipe? Don’t forget to tag me on instagram if you make this recipe! That way you can share with your friends and I can better understand which recipes everyone is loving on the site! If you have a private Instagram account I may not see your tag. Feel free to DM me to let me know! I sincerely appreciate your support <3!
We love your shares! Find out how to share: Please click here to see our Photography & Recipe Sharing Policy.